“Mysore” style is the traditional method for learning the Ashtanga practice as taught in Mysore, India. In the Mysore method, each student has an individualized practice which is developed and overseen by the teacher. Postures are learned one by one and as they are mastered, the student gradually builds a personal practice. During Mysore, students of all levels practice at their own pace and the instructor is available to help with the postures by means of hands on adjustments and reminding students of sequencing. A Mysore practice is developed slowly over time so that the student is able to memorize sequencing and the body is able to adapt to the postures. A common misconception about the Mysore practice is that you need to know the Primary Series to attend. Mysore is appropriate for students of all levels and is the traditional method of learning yoga, one on one from teacher to student.
• Please respect the student-teacher relationship and follow any request from your teacher.
• Please do not add or skip any postures from the traditional Ashtanga sequence unless acknowledged or requested by your teacher.
• Please do not take any new postures unless agreed upon with your teacher.
• Personal hygiene is an integral part of practicing yoga. Please ensure that you and your clothing and mat are clean.
• Practice with care and consideration towards yourself and others. Respect your limits and acknowledge that your body and mind will feel different every day.
• Please be mindful of other students practicing by keeping talking to a whisper and walking softly throughout the studio and outside on the landing.
If You are New To Mysore
Students new to Mysore are welcome to come and observe how the Mysore class flows at any time. There is no need to call ahead, just show up. The teacher can then talk to you about getting started. New students must commit to one month of regular practice to get the full benefits of practicing Mysore.
Class Time and Arrival
Our Mysore program meets Monday – Friday at the Belmont Studio:
6:00-7:45 am with John
7:45-10:00am with Jennifer
There are typically students at the studio by 5:45am Monday-Friday for those students who need to get an earlier start. Students may arrive up to 7:00am.
Our 8:00am Mysore ends promptly at 10:00am. Please leave yourself enough time to complete the closing sequence.
(Friday timings are 6:00-7:30am and 7:30-9:15am. We have Led Primary Series at 9:30am with Jennifer)
There is no practice on Moon Days. See our Moon Day schedule for 2013.